Sunday 9 November 2014

Interleukin 2 - round 2 - Day 0

Today is Sunday November 9, 2014 and tomorrow my husband, Kevin Flynn, goes in for his second round of IL-2 treatment.  He will be scanned around the 15th of December to see if this treatment is working for him.  We are praying for a cure!



I know Kevin will be annoyed with me for writing this, but I will anyway. A lot of you may not know this, but Kevin was involved in the 9-11. Not as a first responder, but as a worker. His cancer is a world trade center related cancer. Kevin has ALWAYS been a hero in many ways. The fact that I write this is what will make him mad because he feels "there were many hero's that day" and I think he feels this acknowledgement may take the credit away from others. It doesn't by any means.

Of course the fire fighters and other first responders are the greatest hero's and give their lives daily to help serve and protect. But in my mind, Kevin is a hero because when he was getting ready to leave NY that day to come home to me and his baby when he saw that some women had fainted. He stopped, threw one at a time over his shoulder, and brought them to an ambulance, thus saving their lives.  When others were running away from the towers, he ran towards them to help.  I think that hero's have that natural tendency to put the well being of others over their own well being, it just happens naturally.  Most people have a natural self survival reaction when they see danger, it's to run.  But he didn't run that day.

At the time we lived in a two family house in Suffern, NY and the tenants who lived below us also worked with Kevin. I can remember them coming home and I was standing on the driveway with Jack, who wasn't even one year old yet, trying to look past them thinking "where is Kevin!! Why didn't he come home with them!?!?" They usually would come home at the same time since they all took the train into New York City.  When I asked them if they knew where he was, they looked at me, clearly shaken up and distraught and said "knowing Kevin, he's probably building a ladder to save those people". And that sums it all up about the type of hero my husband is. And now he will be a hero once again in his fight against renal cell carcinoma!
 
Please pray with me that this treatment will be his cure!  xoxoxo
 
If you have any questions, please feel free to post them at the bottom.  I will do my best to answer any that you have.  I am not a medical professional, but I can give you answers to what I know as a care giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment